[mythtvnz] Sony KF-e50a10

Dylan Hall dylan at deedums.com
Wed Mar 12 20:09:13 GMT 2008

If you're really keen on using HDMI you could get a switch so you can
share the input, e.g.

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=AC1692

I've seen better models than the above, but you get the idea :)

>From my experience (Sony 40" LCD) you're better off using the VGA
connector. The VGA connector supports the true[1] resolution of the
panel (which in my case is 1360x768) while the component video will only
support 720p/1080p etc. I figure the video card is most likely already
scaling the video image, having the tv scale it a second time doesn't
make much sense to me. I also found that the colour looked way different
when using the VGA compared with the component. The component video
colours were very dark, almost washed out looking. I suspect DVD players
and the like must have a different colour profile (not sure what this is
actually called) and do some adjusting of their own. I suspect I could
have played with the gamma and similar settings and got the component
video to look right, but using the VGA was just easier :)

When connected over VGA or DVI/HDMI I found the get-edid and parse-edid
tools very useful, e.g.

get-edid > sony_tv.edid
parse-edid sony_tv.edid

This produced output that can be pasted into your xorg.conf file. That
said, if you can read the edid information as above, then in theory so
can X so you shouldn't need to put anything special in your xorg.conf
file. I did however find this very useful for debugging :)

Dylan

[1] The panel is actually 1366x768 but 1366 isn't supported by any video
cards I've seen, apparently it needs to be a multiple of 8, so the TV
only gives you the option of 1360.