[mythtvnz] LCD TV recommendations (VGA input)

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Fri Jun 6 10:37:26 BST 2008

Well, the Tosh has gone back and I'm now the proud owner of a 40" Sony!!

I changed one line in my xorg.conf file to change over from s-video to VGA
(ActiveDevice "CRT" - was "TV") and is probed the TV and came up in
1360x768 so I'm a very happy bunny. This is on an Epia SP13000 so no fancy
nvidia bits anywhere, just the openchrome driver!

I'd be even happier if I could get the dpms line in my power on/off script
to work!!

If I run the script from a telnet session its OK, if I run it from an
xterm in the same X session as MythTV it runs OK but if the script is run
by irexec (as a result of me pressing the Power button on the remote) it
doesn't seem to do anything.

I guess this is something to do with irexec being run as a service and
hence run by root so something is missing from the environment but even
putting the '-display' option into the xset command as "xset -display :0
dpms force off" I don't get anywhere. I've also tried exporting the
DISPLAY variable at the start of the shell script and I've tried is in
short and long form (i.e. as :0 and as hostname:0).

At least I'm getting my moneys worth on the picture quality :-)

--
Robin Gilks zl3rob/g8ecj
Internet: g8ecj at gilks.org    http://www.gilks.org