[mythtvnz] No line-in sound with Hauppauge Nova S Plus card

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 02:14:06 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Chris Robertson
<chris at teamrobertson.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Was hoping to use this card as a cheap introduction to mythtv for a
> friend, since it will do either DVB-S Freeview or capture from his Sky
> decoder output (using the card's component video and line-in audio
> ports). Freeview is working ok, but we don't get any audio when trying
> to capture from the sky decoder. Video captured Sky is also a bit wobbly
> but not worried about that for now.
>
> I've checked that the audio is coming out of the Sky decoder (using some
> external speakers), and I'm pretty sure that mythtv audio output is
> configured correctly since MythMusic plays fine, and TV works with
> Freeview on the same card.hg
>
> When I add the capture card in mythtv-setup, it is detected using either
> the "Analog V4L Capture Card", "MJPEG Capture Card" or "USB MPEG-4
> encoder box". I've tried "Analog V4L Capture Card" and "MJPEG Capture
> Card", both behave the same. Other settings are video device (only
> /dev/video0 is available) and the audio device (tried both /dev/dsp and
> /dev/dsp1). I left the "Audio sampling rate limit" at None. "Default
> input" is set to Composite1.
>
> Only been using linux for a few months myself, so my small bag of
> debugging tricks is now empty. Any ideas what I could try to track down
> the problem?

Take a look at your v4lctl and make sure all the settings look right.
Sound may be muted etc.

Also tools like xawtv can be helpful (I'm assuming this ISN"T a card
with an MPEG2 hardware encoder, if it is you need a different set of
settings altogether).