[mythtvnz] No line-in sound with Hauppauge Nova S Plus card

Chris Robertson chris at teamrobertson.co.nz
Tue Jul 8 01:42:59 BST 2008

Hi all,

Was hoping to use this card as a cheap introduction to mythtv for a
friend, since it will do either DVB-S Freeview or capture from his Sky
decoder output (using the card's component video and line-in audio
ports). Freeview is working ok, but we don't get any audio when trying
to capture from the sky decoder. Video captured Sky is also a bit wobbly
but not worried about that for now.

I've checked that the audio is coming out of the Sky decoder (using some
external speakers), and I'm pretty sure that mythtv audio output is
configured correctly since MythMusic plays fine, and TV works with
Freeview on the same card.hg

When I add the capture card in mythtv-setup, it is detected using either
the "Analog V4L Capture Card", "MJPEG Capture Card" or "USB MPEG-4
encoder box". I've tried "Analog V4L Capture Card" and "MJPEG Capture
Card", both behave the same. Other settings are video device (only
/dev/video0 is available) and the audio device (tried both /dev/dsp and
/dev/dsp1). I left the "Audio sampling rate limit" at None. "Default
input" is set to Composite1.

Only been using linux for a few months myself, so my small bag of
debugging tricks is now empty. Any ideas what I could try to track down
the problem?

Cheers,
Chris