[mythtvnz] Convert existing Frontend to a diskless Frontend

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Sun Jan 20 03:45:06 GMT 2008

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:32:38 John Moore wrote:
> I have been wanting to have a diskless frontend for a while now, but the
> issue of rebuilding the frontend and losing all the changes I researched
> and made for the VFD display and Remote etc has made me very reluctant.
>
> However I was wondering if there is any straight forward way to take my
> current setup and convert it to a image that can be saved on the backend
> and then used to boot the diskless frontend.
> I am a relatively noob to Linux, but have been playing around with
> Knoppmyth for the last 3 years.
>
> Any ideas / suggestions would be appreciated.

You could rsync the entire filesystem to a subdirectory on the backend and
then pxe boot and NFS root the frontend from the backend.

I do that here for the frontend in our bedroom although the filsystem was
created with debootstrap rather than using an existing filesystem.

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware