[mythtvnz] Convert existing Frontend to a diskless Frontend

Duncan Ritchie duncanr at pobox.com
Mon Jan 21 00:16:03 GMT 2008

I have been working on exactly this over the last few weeks.

I am using Fedora 7 for my main backend and IPCop as my firewall/DHCP etc.

I followed the instructions here
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Diskless_Frontend

A couple of things that caused me problems:

When you rsync make use you have umount'ed your NFS mount to
mythvideo/mythmusic shares or exclude them.

The snapshot feature on fedora sees to be broken so I had to export the root
rw.  This isn't an issue for me as I'm happy with a whole image per client.

You need to have busybox.anaconda installed on the image so it is easier to
do this before you rsync.

I ignored the DHCP info and used the fixed lease feature in IPCop.

I also tested with a VMPlayer image as shown in the link above.  This worked
really well.

Duncan