[mythtvnz] Need some help to polish my first Myth install...

Duncan Kennington duncan.kennington at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 08:53:23 GMT 2008

> > Issue #2: Am seeing a ripple/crinkle cut effect.  This is visible when
> > objects move across the screen or if the camera pans. You can see a
> > picture of the problem here...
> > http://www.realhomes.co.nz/temp/imagedistort.jpg   This is definitely a
> > display issue as the problem is visible with Live TV as well as DVD
> > playback.  The effect is worse at a 16x9 aspect ratio.  Its considerably
> > improved by using the 16x9zoom aspect ratio (zooms the 16x9 to fill the
> > full 4x3 screen).  Aspect ratios are being set using the Mythfrontend
> > menu item.  If I close down mythfrontend and drag some windows around
> > with the mouse I'm pretty sure I do not see the problem, so it appears
> > to only be related to the playing of  video.
>
> What you are talking about is commonly called frame tearing. It's an annoying
> problem and can be a pain to get right. This link might help;
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frame_display_timing

It could also be just interlacing.  I don't think the default settings
for TV Playback have a deinterlacer enabled.

Check Settings/TV Settings/Playback.  The first setting on the first
page is Deinterlace playback.  Turn this on and try Linear Blend or
Bob (2x framerate).

There are a great number of different opinions on what the best one
is, but just try a few until you find a picture you're happy with.

Having said all that, you can still get tearing, but I don't think
that's what you're seeing based on that screenshot....

Cheers,
Duncan