[mythtvnz] Need some help to polish my first Myth install...

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Mon Jan 7 08:45:39 GMT 2008

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:31:18 Phillip Baird wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just finished setting up my first Myth box... well I thought I
> had!  Everything looked ok initially but closer inspection is showing up
> some display issues (and some others but I'll start with the ones
> causing the WAF to plummet).
>
> Issue #1: Cannot see all the Myth (Ubuntu) screen on the TV.  The TV
> image is slightly smaller than the Myth's height (640) and width (480),
> resulting in some buttons not being visible.

What you are talking about is overscan.

There's settings in the frontend setup to make mythfrontend run at a specific
resolution and offset on the display. I prefer to get X running at the right
resolution though.

nvidia-settings will let you specify an over/underscan but I'm not sure if
this will work with a VGA connection, it's likely only a TV-out thing. You
may need to create a modeline for your display.

> Issue #2: Am seeing a ripple/crinkle cut effect.  This is visible when
> objects move across the screen or if the camera pans. You can see a
> picture of the problem here...
> http://www.realhomes.co.nz/temp/imagedistort.jpg   This is definitely a
> display issue as the problem is visible with Live TV as well as DVD
> playback.  The effect is worse at a 16x9 aspect ratio.  Its considerably
> improved by using the 16x9zoom aspect ratio (zooms the 16x9 to fill the
> full 4x3 screen).  Aspect ratios are being set using the Mythfrontend
> menu item.  If I close down mythfrontend and drag some windows around
> with the mouse I'm pretty sure I do not see the problem, so it appears
> to only be related to the playing of  video.

What you are talking about is commonly called frame tearing. It's an annoying
problem and can be a pain to get right. This link might help;

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frame_display_timing

Hope this helps a little.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware