[mythtvnz] Need some help to polish my first Myth install...

Phillip Baird phillip.baird at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 08:31:18 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I've just finished setting up my first Myth box... well I thought I
had!  Everything looked ok initially but closer inspection is showing up
some display issues (and some others but I'll start with the ones
causing the WAF to plummet).

Issue #1: Cannot see all the Myth (Ubuntu) screen on the TV.  The TV
image is slightly smaller than the Myth's height (640) and width (480),
resulting in some buttons not being visible.

Issue #2: Am seeing a ripple/crinkle cut effect.  This is visible when
objects move across the screen or if the camera pans. You can see a
picture of the problem here...
http://www.realhomes.co.nz/temp/imagedistort.jpg   This is definitely a
display issue as the problem is visible with Live TV as well as DVD
playback.  The effect is worse at a 16x9 aspect ratio.  Its considerably
improved by using the 16x9zoom aspect ratio (zooms the 16x9 to fill the
full 4x3 screen).  Aspect ratios are being set using the Mythfrontend
menu item.  If I close down mythfrontend and drag some windows around
with the mouse I'm pretty sure I do not see the problem, so it appears
to only be related to the playing of  video.

My feeling at the moment is that these problems are being caused by the
display setup.

Here's my setup along with the /etc/X11/xconf.org settings...

Mythbuntu 7.10 (with all latest updates)
Nvidia Geforce 7200GS with proprietary Nvidia drivers
SkyStar2
Phillips 29PT9420 TV (29" std 4:3 aspect ratio), supports 1080i, 576p
and 480p HD modes.  VGA connection between card and TV (have also tried
Component).   TV reports it is running in 480p.

xconf.org...

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Default Layout"
    Screen "MonitorScreen" 0 0
    Inputdevice    "Generic Keyboard"
    Inputdevice    "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load        "glx"
    Load        "vnc"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "NvidiaCard"
    Driver        "nvidia"
    Screen 0
    Option        "DPI"    "100x100"
    Option        "UseEvents"    "1"
    Option        "AddARGBVisuals"    "1"
    Option        "AddARGBGLXVisuals"    "1"
    Option        "NoLogo"    "1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "GenericMonitor"
    Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "MonitorScreen"
    Device        "NvidiaCard"
    Monitor        "GenericMonitor"
    Defaultdepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    24
        Modes    "nvidia-auto-select" "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768"
"720x480" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    Option        "SecurityTypes"    "VncAuth"
    Option        "UserPasswdVerifier"    "VncAuth"
    Option        "PasswordFile"    "/root/.vnc/passwd"
EndSection

thanks

/PhillipB