[mythtvnz] Silent Frontend

Nick & Ann Read nick.read at engineer.com
Fri Feb 15 06:32:35 GMT 2008

sam at samborambo.ws wrote:
> A good cheap SD frontend is an xbox (original). I've had mine working with
> xebian and mythtv but have changed to xbmc with the xbmcmythtv python
> script. Works well for recorded programs but live TV is a little buggy at
> the moment. That said, I may be running an older version and could do with
> some more tweaking.
>
> You can pick up an xbox for around $100 on trademe and can be modded by
> software (if you have the gear) or soldered in modchip (around $25). Fan
> speed is fully controllable in xbmc.
>
> For everything else like videos, music and photos, xbmc trumps mythtv
> plugins every time. Very responsive and the appearance and UI feels very
> highly polished. I can't recommend it enough!

The only issue I have had with xbmc is that it is not as good as mythtv
in 'skipping forward'. It appears to read the file forwards, instead of
jumping. This may not matter much on a full speed wired connection, but
on a wireless connection that is only just capable of playback, reading
the file forwards is just the same as playing the file, rendering
'skipping forward' useless. And I just can't watch adverts anymore!

Nick