[mythtvnz] Silent Frontend

sam at samborambo.ws sam at samborambo.ws
Thu Feb 14 23:59:27 GMT 2008

A good cheap SD frontend is an xbox (original). I've had mine working with
xebian and mythtv but have changed to xbmc with the xbmcmythtv python
script. Works well for recorded programs but live TV is a little buggy at
the moment. That said, I may be running an older version and could do with
some more tweaking.

You can pick up an xbox for around $100 on trademe and can be modded by
software (if you have the gear) or soldered in modchip (around $25). Fan
speed is fully controllable in xbmc.

For everything else like videos, music and photos, xbmc trumps mythtv
plugins every time. Very responsive and the appearance and UI feels very
highly polished. I can't recommend it enough!

Can't wait for xbmc on linux to become more stable.

Cheers,

Sam.