[mythtvnz] Silent Frontend

Rick Hudson rick at kpo.org.nz
Thu Feb 14 23:28:37 GMT 2008

Ashley Kirk wrote:

> Id like to build a silent front end for my Mythbuntu and move the current
> frontend/backend into the garage... can anyone recommend a good hardware
> solution??

If you're not trying to do it on the cheap I can recommend Tranquil PC in the
UK (http://www.tranquilpc.co.uk). Mine's a couple of years old now and uses a
Commel LV-675 mobo with is a 2GHz Pentium M. Newer models use the next
generation multi-core CPUs. You can do the same type of thing DIY by replacing
the CPU fan with a decent heat pipe system but I prefer to pay someone else to
design and test it. :-)

A combined front/back end for standard def is well within it's performance
capabilities and I have also had it playing 1280x720 videos but not regularly
enough to know if it's good enough for a regular workload.

A lot of fanless solutions are based on VIA mobos but I've found them to not
have enough horsepower for a lot of tasks and I've had issues them locking up
and overheating under load.

--
Rick Hudson