[mythtvnz] Silent Frontend

Dean Pemberton dean at deanpemberton.com
Thu Feb 14 01:58:08 GMT 2008

As others have mentioned this all depends on what you are hoping to do
with the frontend.

My FE/MasterBE system is a...

model name    : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX
440SE AGP 8x] (rev a2)

Which is just fine for 3 encoders and all the SD content I can throw at it.

Recently though I've been getting some 720p content and playing that.
It uses upwards of 80% CPU time and can stutter if I have too much going
on in the background.

Freeview HD scares the &^%$ out of me as far as performance on my
current system goes =).

In short.  If you only want to use your frontend for SD content then any
of the small ITX systems are going to be fine.  If on the other hand you
want something which is going to play the media coming just around the
corner, then something more grunty is going to be required.

There was a thread on the mythtv-users list recently which suggested
that Core2Duos in the 3Ghz range were going to be a starting point for this.

Keep in touch and let us know what you decide to do.  There are going to
be other people on the list who need to upgrade around the March/April
time frame =)

Dean