[mythtvnz] CPU required for Freeview HD

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sat Aug 23 05:57:57 BST 2008

On 23/08/2008, at 12:35 PM, Graeme Woollett wrote:

> Got my 5600+ in last night, approx 87% CPU on 1 core approx 50% idle
> on
> the other at 720p.

Odd. I'd expect very little load on the second core. What is
mythfrontend using under "top" and what processes are second and third
in CPU use.

I was hoping for a bit under 87% load as well, more 70-75% given the
speed bump over a 3600 X2.

> With the current release from Paul's site Live TV is very watchable,
> but
> trying to watch a recording from the menu crashes the frontend
> everytime.

I'm not having that issue. I set a series of programs to record last
night on the test rig. Three off a single DVB-T tuner and three off a
single DVB-S tuner. Recorded all six programs simultaneously so the
backend is fairly robust. The frontend crashes I'm getting are usually
during live tv.

> My experience with stability is that code  has come a long way, i.e it
> works, but much more work needs to be done to make it stable.
>
> The frontend typically seg faults with either h264 or ac3audio errors.
>
> I do need a higher gain antenna as I can scan the TV3 multiplex, but
> get
> no lock when I try to watch something.

Shame

> I get the feeling that this CPU won't quite be up to watching TV3
> 1080i
> without some fiddling with the source code.

Might be borderline. Can you post the CPU identifier or confirm if it
is a 65W part.

Also how much Ram have you got in the box.

> Gone are the days when an AMD CPU got more work done per clock cycle
> than an Intel CPU...

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited