[mythtvnz] CPU required for Freeview HD

Graeme Woollett g.woollett at irl.cri.nz
Wed Aug 20 00:11:11 BST 2008

Barry Clearwater wrote:
> I'm fascinated by the discussion about cpu requirements, can someone
> briefly outline again the reasons that myth needs such huge amount of
> processing for the h264 standard?  Are STB's that powerful, or is it
> done with some proprietary decoder?
> Is our decoder not low-level enough?
>
> Barry

Nvidia have been very slow to provide any h264 support for Linux given
that they introduced purevideo in 2006.  My hope is that AMD/ATI will
catch up and give NVidia the prod that they deserve.  Therefore Myth
must do it in software.

It is highly likely that the set top boxes will use either DSP or FPGA
chips with IP cores to do the MPEG4 signal processing.  So it is done in
hardware not software.

Is there _anyone_ on this list that is able to watch TV3 1080i  with no
stuttering and using software de interlacing, if so what CPU do you have?