[mythtvnz] CPU required for Freeview HD

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sat Aug 23 02:46:36 BST 2008

On 23/08/2008, at 1:30 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Aaron Whitehouse <lists at whitehouse.org.nz
> > wrote:
> Steve,
>
> This may be a really silly question, but with the new Bravias
> including HD tuners  (that presumably decode the H264 stream in
> hardware), is there any way of passing an encoded stream to the TV and
> let it do the decoding?
>
> Not unless you encode into a DVB-T stream and broadcast it to the
> TV. I am not aware of any method to bypass the tuner.

I'm with Nick.. Sadly no known way at present to pass the H.264 signal
straight to the TV.

Intel made some interesting announcements at the IDF about new TV
based multimedia technology that might allow this. Basically you could
build a Myth Frontend widget that runs within the TV. Sadly it will be
a while before this technology becomes mainstream.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz