[mythtvnz] hardware recommendations for dedicated box

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 03:41:41 BST 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Warren Stuart <warrenstuart at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies guys, here are some responces to some of
> the questions below
>
>>Do you just want an appliance?    Or would you prefer to build your
>>system to suit you?
>
> I think I will be building myself. I was considering buying pre-made
> but can't justify the higher prices even if I will be assured of a
> nice working box at the end. I was hoping to spend ~$800 or
> thereabouts + extra for audio setup. My linux-foo is good and I have
> made computers in the past so I think I am up for the challenge.

I think for Freeview|HD you'll be pushing it, knowing you will need a
pretty high end processor to decode the streams.

If you stuck to a satellite SD setup, you could probably acheive that,
but if you don't have a satellite dish you'll have to factor that in
too.

> I think I will price up a custom system myself and look at the others
> by openmedia and on trademe and then take a hard look at what option
> to pick.
>
>>I don't know of cases that have control buttons.  There are "home
>>theatre" styled ones, but they don't have buttons as such.  Have you
>>thought about a wireless keyboard and/or a remote control?
>
> I will just buy a normal computer case as the only ones I have found
> that look like a DVR and not a computer are too expensive.
>
>>Sorry I don't know of any units at the moment that can also replace an
>>Amp. Also some of our customers spend a lot more on their amps than some
>>people spend on their entire Home Theatre setup.
>
> I will look at an external amp or just keep my existing mid-low home
> theatre for the sound. I am not an audiophile but I don't like crappy
> sound.

What sort of home theatre system do you have? If it has a  digital
sound input (SPDIF) then you can easily hook the digital audio out
that most motherboards now have straight into it. Do check that the
chipset on the proposed motherboard has digital audio out that works
with myth, but support is pretty good these days.