[mythtvnz] hardware recommendations for dedicated box

Warren Stuart warrenstuart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 03:23:46 BST 2008

Thanks for all the replies guys, here are some responces to some of
the questions below

>Do you just want an appliance?    Or would you prefer to build your
>system to suit you?

I think I will be building myself. I was considering buying pre-made
but can't justify the higher prices even if I will be assured of a
nice working box at the end. I was hoping to spend ~$800 or
thereabouts + extra for audio setup. My linux-foo is good and I have
made computers in the past so I think I am up for the challenge.

I think I will price up a custom system myself and look at the others
by openmedia and on trademe and then take a hard look at what option
to pick.

>I don't know of cases that have control buttons.  There are "home
>theatre" styled ones, but they don't have buttons as such.  Have you
>thought about a wireless keyboard and/or a remote control?

I will just buy a normal computer case as the only ones I have found
that look like a DVR and not a computer are too expensive.

>Sorry I don't know of any units at the moment that can also replace an
>Amp. Also some of our customers spend a lot more on their amps than some
>people spend on their entire Home Theatre setup.

I will look at an external amp or just keep my existing mid-low home
theatre for the sound. I am not an audiophile but I don't like crappy
sound.

--Waren