[mythtvnz] Quality of WinTV PVR 150

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 21:54:50 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Steven Mulvay
<steven.mulvay at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've decided not to buy the WinTV-HVR-1300 because of some of the
> problems people have had with them and because I found out that
> Freeview is not planning to ever bring DVB-T to Taranaki. (note that
> the
> HVR-1300 is an analogue and DVB-T card) So now I'm looking at buying
> the WinTV PVR 150 analogue card. Has anyone had any experience with
> that card, if so how did you find it? Some people in the mythtv-users
> IRC channel said that they had poor quality pictures from them and that
> additional external tuner boxes are needed to get good reception. I
> certainly hope this is the exception rather than the rule. Any comments
> and feedback about the PVR-150 would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve :)

Quite simply you are far better off to get a pair of DVB-S cards and
point them at the freeview satellite. Analogue is inferior, and will
be switched off. Quality is far superior in an all digital setup. With
two cards you can record everything freeview has to offer, all at
once.

There is a long thread on PVR150's and quality on the mythtv users
mailing list in the last few days:

You'll see there are very mixed reports on them.

The only reason to have analogue, IMHO, is for Prime or for recording
out the back of a Sky STB.