[mythtvnz] Quality of WinTV PVR 150

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu Aug 14 21:16:51 BST 2008

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 21:31:39 +1200, you wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>> I've decided not to buy the WinTV-HVR-1300 because of some of the
>> problems people have had with them and because I found out that
>> Freeview is not planning to ever bring DVB-T to Taranaki. (note that
>> the
>> HVR-1300 is an analogue and DVB-T card) So now I'm looking at buying
>> the WinTV PVR 150 analogue card. Has anyone had any experience with
>> that card, if so how did you find it? Some people in the mythtv-users
>> IRC channel said that they had poor quality pictures from them and that
>> additional external tuner boxes are needed to get good reception. I
>> certainly hope this is the exception rather than the rule. Any comments
>> and feedback about the PVR-150 would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve :)
>>

> I am surprised that DVB-T would not be coming eventually to everywhere
> that analogue is, since they plan to turn off the analogue
> transmitters eventually.  Certainly there are large parts of NZ where
> DVB-T is not being transmitted in the first round of installations,
> but I had not heard anything to suggest that they did not intend to
> extend the coverage in the same way analogue coverage was originally
> extended.

Analogue is currently at 95% plus of population.

The plan for DVB is to cover 75% initially with expansion to 87%

See
http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/policy-and-planning/current-projects/broadcasting/digital-television-2007-frequency-plan
frequency plan for details

Satellite coverage is to be used to provide 100% coverage.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz