[mythtvnz] Now we have DVB-T working in MythTV...

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Aug 4 05:17:55 BST 2008

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>> ...what would people recommended for a diskless highdef capable
>> frontend?
>>
>> That's about it as far as questions go - do the 6100 series nvidia
>> equipped motherboards (eg. a Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2) have enough GPU
>> grunt
>> to handle the DVB-T H264 and the latest SD de-interlacers or should I be
>> looking at a 8300 series integrated video solution (eg. Asus M3N-H/HDMI
>> Motherboard).
>
> I suspect that given that you aren't going to get any hardware
> assistance from the video card, you are better to concentrate on cpu
> power and ram.
>
> There are lots of HD specs referred to on the mythtv-users mailing
> list, but as they mainly seem to use mpeg2 (with the result (a) they
> can use XvMC (b) its less cpu intensive anyway) the details of what
> machine is needed will have to be taken with a grain of NaCl.

I agree that XvMC is not very useful once mpeg2 is discounted but what
about OpenGL and the GPU requirements it has? This may only be relevant to
menus and OSD things though.

As far as CPU goes, I was assuming that an AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core 5200+
would be about right - stick a couple of gigs of RAM on it for my diskless
config and hopefully that should do it! Starting from the Gigabyte m/b, it
makes it just about affordable!

I'm not going to be doing much until the Olympics are finished and
something worth watching resumes on Freeview so I've time to ponder:-)

--
Robin Gilks