[mythtvnz] Now we have DVB-T working in MythTV...

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 04:59:20 BST 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
> ...what would people recommended for a diskless highdef capable frontend?
>
> That's about it as far as questions go - do the 6100 series nvidia
> equipped motherboards (eg. a Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2) have enough GPU grunt
> to handle the DVB-T H264 and the latest SD de-interlacers or should I be
> looking at a 8300 series integrated video solution (eg. Asus M3N-H/HDMI
> Motherboard).

I suspect that given that you aren't going to get any hardware
assistance from the video card, you are better to concentrate on cpu
power and ram.

There are lots of HD specs referred to on the mythtv-users mailing
list, but as they mainly seem to use mpeg2 (with the result (a) they
can use XvMC (b) its less cpu intensive anyway) the details of what
machine is needed will have to be taken with a grain of NaCl.

But what about something like a popcornhour, or the plethora of other
small hardware solutions?

> In either case, are there any small cases that won't break the bank (I'm
> planning on an external 12v brick with a 200w auto style PSU for cool and
> quiet!)

The common answer in the US seems to be Apple Mini or AppleTV. However
YMMV for the reasons stated above.