[mythtvnz] Now we have DVB-T working in MythTV...

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Aug 4 07:02:32 BST 2008

On 3/08/2008, at 7:57 PM, Robin Gilks wrote:

> ...what would people recommended for a diskless highdef capable
> frontend?
>
> That's about it as far as questions go - do the 6100 series nvidia
> equipped motherboards (eg. a Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2) have enough GPU
> grunt
> to handle the DVB-T H264 and the latest SD de-interlacers or should
> I be
> looking at a 8300 series integrated video solution (eg. Asus M3N-H/
> HDMI
> Motherboard).
>
> In either case, are there any small cases that won't break the bank
> (I'm
> planning on an external 12v brick with a 200w auto style PSU for
> cool and
> quiet!)

I was talking to Keith Packard last week at OSCON about the joy of
trying to decode 1080i H.264 frames on Linux compared with Windows.
Basically for the next 6-12 months we need a damn fast CPU.

Can anyone estimate the grunt required for full 1080i playback in AMD
and Intel CPU form?

For a combined frontend/backend solution I'm personally considering a
Tri or Quad cpu setup so that we have N-1 CPUs for the graphics decode
and a spare CPU for any backend housekeeping tasks.