[mythtvnz] Sky viewers may get new TVNZ channels after all ....

Craig Whitmore mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:33:57 +1200

> Could be, but the article seems to be talking about switching between a
> Freeview mode and a Sky mode ("devices that could toggle between operating
> as Freeview free- to-air boxes and Sky boxes"). That sounds rather less
> integrated, and probably wouldn't work well for MySky.

So whats the difference between a SKY box and a Freeview Box? As Sky at the
moment can (and does) pick up unencrypted channels off the same sat as
Freeview so adding the freeview channels and playing them on the existing
Sky box is (100%) technically possible. (If sky choose to).  I presume to be
treated as a "freeview" box (and legally have the rights to do it) the user
has to have the ability to choose any freq/symbol rate etc  which is just as
they say a "software upgrade" instead of the locked in channels at the
moment.

Thanks