[mythtvnz] Sky viewers may get new TVNZ channels after all ....

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:33:02 +1200

------=_Part_11216_9513220.1189485182078

On 9/11/07, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:

> Or all of this might just be some posturing by Sky.

There does seem to be a lot of posturing involved, but I'm not sure Sky is
the worst offender. Up until now TVNZ has maintained that they won't let Sky
rebroadcast the new channels, now Sky is pointing out that they don't
actually need to. In response TVNZ are invoking the government as some sort
of bogyman that will become enraged if Sky go ahead and tune their boxes for
the new Freeview channels. To me it looks like TVNZ's position is flimsy -
there's no difference between what a Sky box does and what a Freeview box
does (or at least there doesn't need to be a difference) so there is no way
for TVNZ to stop Sky boxes receiving the content short of dropping,
encrypting, or otherwise obfuscating the EIT data.

Cheers,
Steve

------=_Part_11216_9513220.1189485182078

enraged if Sky go ahead and tune their boxes for the new Freeview
channels. To me it looks like TVNZ&#39;s position is flimsy - there&#39;s no difference between what a Sky box does and what a Freeview box does (or at least there doesn&#39;t need to be a difference) so there is no way for TVNZ to stop Sky boxes receiving the content short of dropping, encrypting, or otherwise obfuscating the EIT data.

------=_Part_11216_9513220.1189485182078--