[mythtvnz] Sky viewers may get new TVNZ channels after all ....

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:05:38 +1200

------=_Part_11727_4381727.1189494338990

On 9/11/07, Craig Whitmore <lennon@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> I presume to be
> treated as a "freeview" box (and legally have the rights to do it) the
> user
> has to have the ability to choose any freq/symbol rate etc  which is just
> as
> they say a "software upgrade" instead of the locked in channels at the
> moment.

My Sky decoder has a section in the setup that lets you define a new
satelitte that includes freq etc already. I haven't tried to get Freeview
with it because I'm sure it is locked to Sky's network id, but the basic
tuning capabilities appear to already be in the firmware.

To be branded as a Freeview box (i.e. use trademarked logo) you have to
fullfill certain requirements. I doubt they'd let Sky do that even if the
box qualified. However there is nothing legally stopping anyone receiving
Freeview broadcasts using whatever hardware they like and I doubt there is
anything stopping someone advertising their hardware as capable of receiving
Freeview provided they don't infringe any trademarks.

Cheers,
Steve