[mythtvnz] Freeview Channels & EPG's and such like (a little confused)

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Tue Oct 9 01:03:16 BST 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 12:51:41 Robin Gilks wrote:
> Thought I'd report that all my tv_grab_nz-py issues are now fixed. I think
> it was an ownership/permissions problem on the script itself rather than
> the environment (although I haven't removed the environ setup in the
> backend startup script yet!).

Glad to hear it's worked out.

> Next step is to get epgsnoop to parse the sky and freeview epg data. Can
> someone gives some clues on how xml-cat (or whatever its called) is used
> to merge the two streams?

Cut from the script that does my feed;

tv_cat --output $LISTINGS_ALL $LISTINGS_SKY $LISTINGS_FREEVIEW

couldn't be easier :) Actually, I've attached the script that I use in case
anyone is interested. Hope a small attachment is OK.

> I intend to then 'serve' this data to myself
> (patch tv_grab_nz-py to point at localhost - maybe with a command line
> parameter to override the existing URL).

I'll look at adding a command line option and/or config file option for it
when I get a moment.

> BTW: update-xmltvids.py worked well for me, with just a bit of tweaking of
> guide data for TV1, 2 & 3 etc where there is an overlap to make sure that
> both the Sky and Freeview channels use the same epg on those channels to
> avoid confusion!

Good to hear.

> I take it that the Sky data is considered to be better than the Freeview
> data at present - if thats the case I guess I'll be doing some more
> tweaking :-)

It seems to be to me but that's just because I've been working with the Sky
data with epgsnoop processors more than the Freeview stuff. The Sky data
appears to have (more) consistant info for categories and ratings etc.

I haven't compared the raw data lately TBH, anyone else comment?

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's VoIP supplier