[mythtvnz] Freeview Channels & EPG's and such like (a little confused)

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue Oct 9 00:51:41 BST 2007

> The issue is that the PIDs for the channels now conflict between Sky and
> Freeview because of all the new channels.
>
> To combat this we've come up with the new XMLTVIDs for the different
> sources.
> They look like so;
>
> tv1.freeviewnz.tv
> tv1.sky.co.nz
>
> This allows us to get around the duplicate problem. Unfortunately this
> means
> you need to update the database for the new XMLTVIDs. I put a script that
> used for myself and a few friends here;
>
> http://epg.pvr.geek.nz/epg/update-xmltvids.py
> http://epg.pvr.geek.nz/epg/channels.conf
>
> (you'll need the channels.conf file to go with it). Of course if it's just
> the
> freeview channels it's probably easy enough to do by hand.
>
> If you go this route then you can either use the listings-sky.xml.gz,
> listings-freeview.xml.gz or listings-all.xml.gz file (listings-all is a
> combined file of the other two).
>
> All of these files use the new XMLTVID format. Currently there's more work
> gone into working with the data from the Sky data so I would still
> recommend
> using the .sky.co.nz XMLTVIDs for those channels which you can (1, 2, 3,
> 4,
> etc.).
>
> These files are generated by the new version of epgsnoop which you could
> also
> use if you wanted.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> hads

Thought I'd report that all my tv_grab_nz-py issues are now fixed. I think
it was an ownership/permissions problem on the script itself rather than
the environment (although I haven't removed the environ setup in the
backend startup script yet!).

Next step is to get epgsnoop to parse the sky and freeview epg data. Can
someone gives some clues on how xml-cat (or whatever its called) is used
to merge the two streams? I intend to then 'serve' this data to myself
(patch tv_grab_nz-py to point at localhost - maybe with a command line
parameter to override the existing URL).

BTW: update-xmltvids.py worked well for me, with just a bit of tweaking of
guide data for TV1, 2 & 3 etc where there is an overlap to make sure that
both the Sky and Freeview channels use the same epg on those channels to
avoid confusion!

I take it that the Sky data is considered to be better than the Freeview
data at present - if thats the case I guess I'll be doing some more
tweaking :-)

Cheers all

--
Robin Gilks