[mythtvnz] Myth and PowerTOP

Andrew Ruthven mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 22 May 2007 09:10:41 +1200

--=-WDdYedIAuyE+fZZrxB0b

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 09:25 +1200, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> I have a new kernel compiled with the required settings to go on my
> backend, just haven't had a chance to reboot into it yet.
>=20
> I can post some results once I try it out.
>=20
> Unfortunately this box is also being web, mail, file, print and DB for
> our house, so my results might be a bit skewed...

These results are while not recording anything:

mythbackend is far and away the major cause of wakeups on my box.
Normal setup on my box it is causing about 96 wakeups per second, which
is 70% of the wakeups on my box.

If I turn off my jukebox (running on another computer, playing files NFS
mounted from this server) mythbackend moves up to 76-80% of the wakeups.

While recording mythbackend changes to 97 wakeups/second and the IVTV
driver is performing 77 wakeups/second, they account for 44% and 35%
respectively.

So, compared to desktop software running on my laptop, MythTV is *much*
better behaved.  However, one of the authors of powertop has remarked
that 96 wakeups/second when idle is horrible...  His complete Gnome
desktop is using 3 wakeups/second when idle.

I am now very tempted to move all my music off the server and onto the
jukebox computer!

Cheers!

--=20
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand