[mythtvnz] Myth and PowerTOP

Neil Henwood mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 22 May 2007 22:09:23 +1200

Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 09:25 +1200, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
>> I have a new kernel compiled with the required settings to go on my
>> backend, just haven't had a chance to reboot into it yet.
>>
>> I can post some results once I try it out.
>>
>> Unfortunately this box is also being web, mail, file, print and DB for
>> our house, so my results might be a bit skewed...
>
> These results are while not recording anything:
>
> mythbackend is far and away the major cause of wakeups on my box.
> Normal setup on my box it is causing about 96 wakeups per second, which
> is 70% of the wakeups on my box.
>
> If I turn off my jukebox (running on another computer, playing files NFS
> mounted from this server) mythbackend moves up to 76-80% of the wakeups.
>
> While recording mythbackend changes to 97 wakeups/second and the IVTV
> driver is performing 77 wakeups/second, they account for 44% and 35%
> respectively.
>
> So, compared to desktop software running on my laptop, MythTV is *much*
> better behaved.  However, one of the authors of powertop has remarked
> that 96 wakeups/second when idle is horrible...  His complete Gnome
> desktop is using 3 wakeups/second when idle.
>
> I am now very tempted to move all my music off the server and onto the
> jukebox computer!
>
> Cheers!

Well thats interesting, I thought that the Myth suite would have been a
bit more aggressive in the wake up calls, but seems as though there will
need to be more work done to get it into a more power efficient mode. I
might have a go on my system at some point soon to see what results I
can come up with as well. I wonder how much they will get rolled into
0.21 before it is released

Neil