[mythtvnz] Freeview dish set-up woes

Noel & Di mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 21 May 2007 10:01:49 +1200

Hi Matt
You're nearly there!! Here is the "bushman's guide" to setting up your
dish. Take one BFH and go to your...... Ahem. Seriously now.
Fire up your card & get it polling with the cable & dish all connected
(This provides power to the LNB).  Go to your dish with your signal
meter.  connect it in line as per usual & point your dish NORTH-ish
(you'll be getting good at this by now!).  Initially set the sat meter
so it JUST stops squealing.  Now rotate the dish slowly 5mm at a time to
your left.  As you track through a signal path you should get a squeal.
As the signal increases, de-sense the meter to work in the 3-4 range &
tweak the dish up L <-> R for max signal, then up & down for max
signal.  firm up your bolts (not too tight yet - just past finger
tight).  Now go check your card to see if you're on the right SAT (leave
the meter connected at this stage).  Remember the Sats you may pick up
are (from "right" to left") are IS701, IS2, IS8, D1, C1.  D1 is usually
the "second left" to be picked up on your size dish and is by far the
strongest signal.  If you're on the right sat, go back to the dish (if
not turn it some more to the next sat) and "flex" the dish 5mm or so to
the left & then to the right, align the dish so the signal "drops" when
flexing the dish both ways.  Do the same for up & down.  Now tighten up
your bolts till they strip & back them off 1/4 turn.  Usually the LNB is
set right when the coax is about 8 o'clock.  Your meter is tricky to use
to set the skew rotation on D1, because it appears to pick up V AND H
pol simultaneously (shouldn't happen but it just DOES on these cheapo
meters)  The V is stronger than the H, which gets swamped.  So If you're
keen rotate the LNB & observe the readings - remember to work the meter
in the 3-4 range.  If you imagine two inverted parabolae drawn on paper,
one very tall & the other short, overlapping each other with the peak of
the short one under the skirts of the tall one - you are trying to tune
to the short peak. fun eh?   hope this helps