[mythtvnz] Freeview dish set-up woes

Matt Poff mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 21 May 2007 07:54:11 +1200

Noel wrote:
> You NEED the LNB on the dish.  Background scatter will max out the meter.
> To check for shorts - dis connect BOTH ends of the cable & use a multi
> tester, or a battery & lamp even on one end.  You should get no
> reading (or light) until you short the far end. Then...
Thanks, good to know. I originally had the the LNB installed on the dish
on the roof, then brought the dish down, then removed the LNB. When the
dish was installed I sshd to the receiver over wireless with a laptop
from the roof, started dvbtune and rotated the dish about an inch at a
time through an arc approx 300-20 degrees and got no change in output...
just continual "Polling" messages.

I'd preset the elevation to 39.9 degrees as per the Freeview website's
values. I also tried rotating the LNB but there was no alteration in
signal strength. The dish mount is vertical (perhaps not perfect but on
the edges of the bubble).

I also tried blanking the LNB with my hand to see if that made a
difference to signal but nothing.

The complete lack of variance in reading/signal suggests to me something
is bung - hopefully the LNB and not the two Skystar2 cards (which seems
unlikely).

Cheers,
Matt