[mythtvnz] Freeview dish set-up woes

Noel mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 20 May 2007 19:36:21 +1200

Matt Poff wrote:
> Well, I figured the connection might be shorting somewhere so I redid
> all the RG6 connections (screw-on). I've got the LNB out of the dish
> on the floor on the end of the cable connections and the same thing
> happens. Start dvbtune, the meter maxes out and squeals.
>
> I can only assume something is shorting out again... anyone know of
> any good cable service people in Wellington who would put crimped
> connections on a few lengths of cable? Then again I guess they'll cost
> more than the crimping tool I didn't want to have to buy in the first
> place.
>
> Why the hell it's shorting I don't know. I've got a 1/4" of shielding
> folded back over the wrapper, a 1/4" of inner plastic core with the
> foil stripped off and a 1/4" of copper wire at the end. Should do it
> shouldn't it?
>
> Cheers,
> Matt
>
> http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/install-instructions-i-21.html
>
> Craig Whitmore wrote:
>>> I'm attempting to set-up a 75cm dish for Freeview with a Skystar2
>>> card and not having any luck. I've tried using the frequency listed
>>> for the D1 on the Freeview site (12.469 GHz) and the one listed for
>>> Freeview on the Lyngsat website (12.483). Whether I run the
>>> following in dvbtune. Following the guide at pvr.geek.nz
>>> (http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/DVB-S_Setup) I subtracted 10.75 (my
>>> LNB L.O) from both these and tried...
>>>

>> Another good guide is http://www.wlug.org.nz/FreeViewMythTvSetup but
>> you seem to be doing it correctly with the software
>> So it is most likely a dish setup problem as you don't seems to get
>> any signal from the Satellite.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Craig

You NEED the LNB on the dish.  Background scatter will max out the meter.
To check for shorts - dis connect BOTH ends of the cable & use a multi
tester, or a battery & lamp even on one end.  You should get no reading
(or light) until you short the far end. Then...
Put the LNB on the dish & put it's rotation to the (roughly) 8 o'Clock
position as you look at the front of the dish.  Set your dish elevation
on the bracket according to your location - (remember your dish mount
pole MUST be vertical) then pan your dish around 20 degrees Left of
north till you get signals on your meter - You will get several peaks,
from the different sats.  D1 is the strongest  & you'll need to back off
the sensitivity WAY more than for the other sats.  Have a look at
http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/install-instructions-i-21.html
Then go inside 7 play with MythTV