[mythtvnz] With a Skystar2 card is a Hauppauge PVR (or similar) card still necessary?

Robin Gilks mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat, 12 May 2007 22:42:06 +1200 (NZST)

> You need one skystar per viewing or recording. i.e if you want to be able
> to record two channels simultaneously you need 2 skystars. Watching in
> mythtv is the equivalent of recording anyway (the channel is
> simultaneously recorded and played back.)
>
> The inability to record more than one programme off dvb is in fact a major
> fault of mythtv at present, other software can record two or more channels
> at once. Notably webscheduler (windows). I am not sure whether VDR (linux)
> can do so. I intend to find out.

I've been tracking the development stuff on the dev and commit lists and
the multiple record is being worked on right now. The major issues have
been avoiding the scheduling clashes that might arise as a result of have
multiple overlapping programs recorded from various multiplexes from
several cards.

The way things are shaping up, it looks like we'll only need two cards for
all channels simultaneously for the next couple of years since there are
only 2 multiplexes being used (although I guess that could change anytime
since so little information has been released).

The multichannel support will probably be rolled in the the production
version of Myth in 6-9 months I'd say from the speed of other similar
sized developments but be ready on the 'bleeding edge' in a couple of
months.

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks