[mythtvnz] Setting up for freeview - idiot's guide please

Hadley Rich mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 1 May 2007 14:26:14 +1200

On Tue, 01 May 2007 14:17:55 Nick Rout wrote:
> I am in Lyttelton and have Sky digital. I am not sure how long we have had
> it but the dish (and LNB) are at least 5 years old, if not 8.
>
> I have a SkyStar II PCI DVB-S card that currently sits in a linux (but not
> mythtv) box.
>
> The connection is:
>
> dish<-->splitter<--power passthru--> Sky Box
>
>              --------- no passthru-->skystar
>
> At present I seem to be able to get (via dvbstream) TV1 & TV2 on a
> vertical pol at 12671 on pids 1004/1104 (TV1) and 1005/1105 (TV2). I
> haven't really looked for more since D1 went on line, i used to be able to
> get Maori, TVNZ wide etc etc.
>
> I also have a splitter that is capable of passing power on all three
> splits, but it isn't in the loom yet. Eventually I would like two
> skystars.
>
> So what do I need to do?
>
> I think I need two LNB's unless either Sky or Freeview switch polarity.
>
> If so, what is the easiest/cheapest way to get another LNB?
>
> Does it require another cable?
>
> Anything else I need  to know?

I have the same setup as you, two Skystar cards and Sky.

You'll either need a dual LNB (not two LNBs), like this one;

http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/acer-dual-output-ku-band-lnb-p-368.html

which will require running another cable to your Skystar card. This will allow
you to tune H with one part of the LNB to get Freeview and V with the other
bit to let Sky keep working.

Or, apparently, Sky are switching to H polarity sometime in May. I'm going to
hold off for a bit and keep getting 1 & 2 from 12671 (Sky) on V and see if
Sky does switch. If they do it will save me running more cables.

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's VoIP supplier