[mythtvnz] Setting up for freeview - idiot's guide please

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 1 May 2007 14:36:06 +1200 (NZST)

On Tue, May 1, 2007 2:26 pm, Hadley Rich wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2007 14:17:55 Nick Rout wrote:
>> I am in Lyttelton and have Sky digital. I am not sure how long we have
>> had
>> it but the dish (and LNB) are at least 5 years old, if not 8.
>>
>> I have a SkyStar II PCI DVB-S card that currently sits in a linux (but
>> not
>> mythtv) box.
>>
>> The connection is:
>>
>> dish<-->splitter<--power passthru--> Sky Box
>>
>>              --------- no passthru-->skystar
>>
>> At present I seem to be able to get (via dvbstream) TV1 & TV2 on a
>> vertical pol at 12671 on pids 1004/1104 (TV1) and 1005/1105 (TV2). I
>> haven't really looked for more since D1 went on line, i used to be abl=
>> get Maori, TVNZ wide etc etc.
>>
>> I also have a splitter that is capable of passing power on all three
>> splits, but it isn't in the loom yet. Eventually I would like two
>> skystars.
>>
>> So what do I need to do?
>>
>> I think I need two LNB's unless either Sky or Freeview switch polarity=
..

>> If so, what is the easiest/cheapest way to get another LNB?
>>
>> Does it require another cable?
>>
>> Anything else I need  to know?
>
> I have the same setup as you, two Skystar cards and Sky.
>
> You'll either need a dual LNB (not two LNBs), like this one;
>
> http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/acer-dual-output-ku-band-lnb-p-368.html
>
> which will require running another cable to your Skystar card. This wil=
> allow
> you to tune H with one part of the LNB to get Freeview and V with the
> other
> bit to let Sky keep working.
>
> Or, apparently, Sky are switching to H polarity sometime in May. I'm go=
ing
> hold off for a bit and keep getting 1 & 2 from 12671 (Sky) on V and see=
 if
> Sky does switch. If they do it will save me running more cables.

After the article in todays Herald there appears to be a fun spat going o=
there.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/story.cfm?c_id=3D3&objectid=3D1043703=
7

I agree. The sooner they switch the better.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz