[mythtvnz] Mythbackend on an old laptop ??

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:13:11 +1200 (NZST)

On Mon, March 26, 2007 10:56 am, paul arthur wrote:
> Let me know why this is a dumb idea please.
>
> Im looking at setting up a Mythtv solution for a friend who lives in th=
> deepest waikato - no internet, bad power, no TV signal small budget.
>
> if we go ahead, we may use a different frontend if there is not enough
> grunt in the backend, and get a decent external disk - usb2 200+GB
>
> Tell me your thoughts on using an oldish 1Ghz+ broken screen laptop as =
> mythbackend with a USB DVB tuner
>
> pro's
> *  built in UPS
> * quiet
> * cheap
> * built in TV-Out
> * low power consumption
> * 100mb ethernet port
> * CD/DVD drive
>
> con's
> * finding an external usb dvd dongle that works...??
> * small internal disk capacity
>
> Thoughts please
>

> Paul.

If there is no TV reception, what is the point of a Mythtv solution? If
you just want to watch videos and DVD's then something like geexbox may b=
better.

Any USB DVD drive should work, but you probably want USB2 to acheive good
results.

--=20
Nick Rout