[mythtvnz] Mythbackend on an old laptop ??

paul arthur mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:56:38 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1803050655-1174863398=:92082

Let me know why this is a dumb idea please.

Im looking at setting up a Mythtv solution for a friend who lives in the deepest waikato - no internet, bad power, no TV signal small budget.

if we go ahead, we may use a different frontend if there is not enough grunt in the backend, and get a decent external disk - usb2 200+GB

Tell me your thoughts on using an oldish 1Ghz+ broken screen laptop as a mythbackend with a USB DVB tuner

pro's
*  built in UPS
* quiet
* cheap
* built in TV-Out
* low power consumption
* 100mb ethernet port
* CD/DVD drive

con's
* finding an external usb dvd dongle that works...??
* small internal disk capacity

Thoughts please

Paul.

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.