[mythtvnz] Maori TV - odd aspect ratio?

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:02:18 +1200 (NZST)

On Wed, June 27, 2007 9:35 pm, Richard wrote:
> You cant tell the aspect by the resolution. Chances are that program is
> 4:3,
> since maori tv don't seem to be doing any widescreen yet.

This isn't that odd. Its 544x576 anamorphic 4:3 so it gets stretched on
playback. Sky plays tricks like this to keep the bitrate down.

I've some material from my last trip to the UK of BBCi that is this
resolution. OK for playback but a pain to transfer to DVD.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz