[mythtvnz] Re: Multiple channels one multiplex solution?

Craig Whitmore mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:08:05 +1200

>> I found this via browsing the mythtv-users list. Someone came up with
>> the great idea of using vlc to capture a whole multiplex and retransmits
>> as a number of udp streams (one per channel). Myth then treats each udp
>> stream as an IPTV channel.

Yes its 100% possible as I've done it before , and quite easy to do and
works well. vlc can take the multplex, extract each PID( Channel) and then
send as raw or encode as H264 or whatever you need it to via unicast (of if
you want multiple recievers at your place, multicast).

An example would be for example 1 Satellite Dish-> Linux box running VLC ->
transfer into Multicast MPEG streams and then send to large number of people
in flats or alike to simple IP Based Set Top Boxes such as Amino's.

Thanks
Craig