[mythtvnz] Re: Multiple channels one multiplex solution?

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:58:08 +1200

Craig Whitmore wrote:
>>> I found this via browsing the mythtv-users list. Someone came up with
>>> the great idea of using vlc to capture a whole multiplex and
>>> retransmits
>>> as a number of udp streams (one per channel). Myth then treats each udp
>>> stream as an IPTV channel.
>>>

> Yes its 100% possible as I've done it before , and quite easy to do
> and works well. vlc can take the multplex, extract each PID( Channel)
> and then send as raw or encode as H264 or whatever you need it to via
> unicast (of if you want multiple recievers at your place, multicast).
>
> An example would be for example 1 Satellite Dish-> Linux box running
> VLC -> transfer into Multicast MPEG streams and then send to large
> number of people in flats or alike to simple IP Based Set Top Boxes
> such as Amino's.

Or in fact do it as the wiki suggests then equip all those flats with
mythfrontends.

(although that loses the multicast advantage I suppose - other
alternative equip each flat with a backend to accept the multicast streams).