[mythtvnz] OT: cat5 and RG6 cable suppliers in CHCH

Noel & Di mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:35:11 +1200

Robin Gilks wrote:

>Greetings
>
>Sorry for the off-topic but I'm trying to help out a mate who has the gib
>going into his new house at the end of the week and he's only just thought
>of all his TV, sat, phone and networking!!
>
>I recall a place on Moorhouse, on the south side of the road up by
>Fitzgerald, that had cat5 (the blue one) for just over $100 a 305m roll -
>but that was a couple of years ago and may not be there any more.
>
>I expect he'll need at least a complete 305m roll of the cat5 and 100m of
>the RG6 so looking for a wholesale supplier methinks!! Wall plates for
>both cable types and screw-on connectors for the RG6 would be handy as
>well (one stop shop may be cheaper!!)
>
>Cheers

Check out Corys in 12 Leslie Hills Dr Riccarton, or Mastertrade 146 Tuam
St, & one in Hornsby somewhere from memory, they will match price & are
convenient for other usefully bits & pieces .
In our house I ran 2 cat5 and 2 RG6 to each outlet for my data/AV, then
I discovered (after the painting was finished) a PDL product marketed
under the LexCom name - LCHC300.  It is a cat 5 cable with the
individual twisted pairs screened, with a common copper braid shield
that makes it suitable for data, audio AND AV.  I used this in our
second round of extensions, & ran 3 of this LCHC300 to each outlet and
it's BRILLIANT.  I run a "composite" AV signal on one pair with L-R
audio using the second pair, and use one of the other pairs for UHF RF.
The second cable is used for data (2pr) and 2 phone lines (2pr).  The
third cable is used for outgoing AV & outgoing audio.  This worked out
cheaper over all than RG6 with Cat5.  I vetoed the LexCom panel in favor
of my own "hybrid" system, but did use their "connecting-cords" which
have a matching balun for 100 Ohm symmetrical to 75 Ohm asymmetrical
impedance for the UHF RF - chopped a few of these up for use at the
panel end to suit my evil purpose >:o||>   Wish I'd done this for ALL
the house, but never knew about LCHC300 till it was too late!!!
Hope this inspires someone!