[mythtvnz] OT: cat5 and RG6 cable suppliers in CHCH

Robin Gilks mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:28:40 +1200 (NZST)

> Greetings
>
> Sorry for the off-topic but I'm trying to help out a mate who has the gib
> going into his new house at the end of the week and he's only just thought
> of all his TV, sat, phone and networking!!
>
> I recall a place on Moorhouse, on the south side of the road up by
> Fitzgerald, that had cat5 (the blue one) for just over $100 a 305m roll -
> but that was a couple of years ago and may not be there any more.
>
> I expect he'll need at least a complete 305m roll of the cat5 and 100m of
> the RG6 so looking for a wholesale supplier methinks!! Wall plates for
> both cable types and screw-on connectors for the RG6 would be handy as
> well (one stop shop may be cheaper!!)

Turns out the Moorhouse place was DataWorld which was bought out 3 years
ago so no good there!

Best retail price I've found so far for the cat5 is TasTech with $120+gst
and best account price so far is Computer Dynamics at $110+gst. There is
certainly a lot of variability, the norm appears to be about $170 but some
prices are over $300 for a 305m pull-through box!!

The wall plates etc will probably have to be over the counter so they can
be chosen to match everything else - MasterTrade, Radcliff and a couple of
others are likely candidates.

--
Robin Gilks