[mythtvnz] anyone recommend the Phillips 32" LCD Widescreen flat TV?

Jason Haar mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:21:50 +1300

David Harrison wrote:
> On 17/01/2007, at 3:54 PM, Jason Haar wrote:
>
>> My primary concern is how well it would play with Linux/MythTV. I have a
>> HP 20" LCD monitor at work that only runs at 1600x1200, and it was a
>> real cow to get to work - in the end I needed proprietary nVidia
>> drivers. I don't want to face that again.
>
> As you say connecting my 37" Philips LCD up to MythTV wasn't too
> difficult via a DVI->HDCP cable but in order to get the television's
> native resolution took a lot of fiddling.

My VIA m/b doesn't have DVI - so I get to choose between Svideo,
composite and standard VGA adapter. I assume VGA will be the best choice
for me if we go with this Phillips... (as it supports VGA)

Your reference to fiddling fills me with dread. Why-oh-why do we still
have to do that? (no answer required ;-)

> By default the TV just displayed a stretched 1024x768 when plugged in
> and in order to get the native resolution (1320x720) I followed the
> tips listed here:
>
> http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=HDTVSetupHowTo
>
> I ended up using the Windows Powerstrip tool to get a modeline that
> when dropped into xorg.conf and tweaked a bit worked like a charm.
> It was a clumsy process but the results were worth it in the long run.
>
> For future reference here is a link to the modeline for a Philips
> 37pf7320 TV:
> http://www.stress-free.co.nz/xfree_xorg_modeline_for_philips_37_pf7320_lcd_tv

Thanks for all this help. Hopefully I will be successful. I guess it
should be pretty hard for me to blow up an LCD monitor if I get
something wrong! ;-)

Jason