[mythtvnz] anyone recommend the Phillips 32" LCD Widescreen flat TV?

David Harrison mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:59:13 +1300

On 17/01/2007, at 3:54 PM, Jason Haar wrote:

> My primary concern is how well it would play with Linux/MythTV. I
> have a
> HP 20" LCD monitor at work that only runs at 1600x1200, and it was a
> real cow to get to work - in the end I needed proprietary nVidia
> drivers. I don't want to face that again.

As you say connecting my 37" Philips LCD up to MythTV wasn't too
difficult via a DVI->HDCP cable but in order to get the television's
native resolution took a lot of fiddling.
By default the TV just displayed a stretched 1024x768 when plugged in
and in order to get the native resolution (1320x720) I followed the
tips listed here:

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=HDTVSetupHowTo

I ended up using the Windows Powerstrip tool to get a modeline that
when dropped into xorg.conf and tweaked a bit worked like a charm.
It was a clumsy process but the results were worth it in the long run.

For future reference here is a link to the modeline for a Philips
37pf7320 TV:
http://www.stress-free.co.nz/
xfree_xorg_modeline_for_philips_37_pf7320_lcd_tv

David