[mythtvnz] Help with terrestrial channels (non-MythTV)

Richard mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 00:50:34 +1300

A lot of the blame is with the TV manufacturers. NZ tvs really should have
the numbers on them called presets or favorites. That and the trend back
from the old days in nz and the UK of the channels choosing arbitary numbers
starting at 1 rather then their broadcast channel. At least in Australia
they started off on the right foot with their channel numberings, but
repeaters etc soon put an end to it, and now its going digital all that work
establishing the brand of a number is proving a liability.

Most TVs are also lazy and just scan the whole bands MHz by MHz and save
whatever they find. A few let you set up a preset to channel number mapping
by typing the numbers in, but then you get problems in that loads are really
aussie, which have different numbering of the VHF spectrum with it starting
a 0, not 2 like here.

Anyway, once tuned, there is no easy way to swap them around, so if you want
what is in 1 to go to 3 and vice versa, then you have to actually retune
them and all sorts of carry on, then theres the painfully slow speed that
they inch their way Mhz by Mhz thru the band. Multiple channels that look
like crap will most likly be repeaters or else aliasing being made by a
crappy antenna system in the place you are living in ending up in the unused
cable channles.

If you think the pal flicker is bad, try using an ntsc camera under 50hz
lighting, then you will appreciate why they make the tv standard match the
powerline frequancy (says he with several 60hz cctv cameras around the house
making motion detection software useless)