[mythtvnz] Help with terrestrial channels (non-MythTV)

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:36:23 +1300 (NZDT)

On Wed, February 28, 2007 12:50 am, Richard wrote:
> A lot of the blame is with the TV manufacturers. NZ tvs really should h=
ave
> the numbers on them called presets or favorites. That and the trend bac=
> from the old days in nz and the UK of the channels choosing arbitary
> numbers
> starting at 1 rather then their broadcast channel. At least in Australi=
> they started off on the right foot with their channel numberings, but
> repeaters etc soon put an end to it, and now its going digital all that
> work
> establishing the brand of a number is proving a liability.
>
> Most TVs are also lazy and just scan the whole bands MHz by MHz and sav=
> whatever they find. A few let you set up a preset to channel number
> mapping
> by typing the numbers in, but then you get problems in that loads are
> really
> aussie, which have different numbering of the VHF spectrum with it
> starting
> a 0, not 2 like here.
>
> Anyway, once tuned, there is no easy way to swap them around, so if you
> want
> what is in 1 to go to 3 and vice versa, then you have to actually retun=
> them and all sorts of carry on, then theres the painfully slow speed th=
at
> they inch their way Mhz by Mhz thru the band. Multiple channels that lo=
ok
> like crap will most likly be repeaters or else aliasing being made by a
> crappy antenna system in the place you are living in ending up in the
> unused
> cable channles.

Most TVs and VCRs do allow channel swapping. I know my own Sanyo devices
do it and i've seen the feature on other TVs.

It can be a pain initially by once you have done all of the swaps you are
sorted.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz