[mythtvnz] Another cheeky cap request - Rude Awakenings ep 1

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:50:28 +1300

------=_Part_97023_8786564.1171507828850

On 2/15/07, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:

> The intent is you can't time shift if it is available on-demand. Doesn't
> matter if it is PPV or normal FTA TV.

PPV vs FTA is not my point. My point is that they were probably trying to
protect on-demand TV systems with this legislation and not make a blanket
restriction on timeshifting a given piece of video just because it happens
to be available on-demand from some other source.

Are internet downloads are classified as "on-demand" in the legislation?
Does the legislation actually say that you can't timeshift a piece of video
if it is available on-demand from another source? What about DVDs - if the
internet counts, surely they count as on-demand too? What if it's available
"on-demand" from an overseas internet site? What if that's an illegal copy?

If the legislation is written the way you are implying it's written it is
written then it is completely unworkable. There is no way for the consumer
to know what they can and can't timeshift.

Cheers,
Steve

------=_Part_97023_8786564.1171507828850

legislation? Does the legislation actually say that you can&#39;t timeshift
a piece of video if it is available on-demand from another source? What about DVDs - if the internet counts, surely they count as on-demand too? What if it&#39;s available &quot;on-demand&quot; from an overseas internet site? What if that&#39;s an illegal copy?

------=_Part_97023_8786564.1171507828850--