[mythtvnz] Another cheeky cap request - Rude Awakenings ep 1

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:44:50 +1300 (NZDT)

On Thu, February 15, 2007 3:50 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 2/15/07, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> The intent is you can't time shift if it is available on-demand. Doesn=
't
>> matter if it is PPV or normal FTA TV.
>

> PPV vs FTA is not my point. My point is that they were probably trying =
> protect on-demand TV systems with this legislation and not make a blank=
et
> restriction on timeshifting a given piece of video just because it happ=
ens
> to be available on-demand from some other source.

It is designed for both on-demand TV and normal broadcast. Same rules app=
ly.

> Are internet downloads are classified as "on-demand" in the legislation=
?
> Does the legislation actually say that you can't timeshift a piece of
> video
> if it is available on-demand from another source? What about DVDs - if =
the
> internet counts, surely they count as on-demand too? What if it's
> available
> "on-demand" from an overseas internet site? What if that's an illegal
> copy?

On demand from the original source. So if it is shown on TVNZ and TVNZ
provide an on demand version free/pay/otherwise then you can't record it.

> If the legislation is written the way you are implying it's written it =
is
> written then it is completely unworkable. There is no way for the consu=
mer
> to know what they can and can't timeshift.

Correct. It is unworkable, but that might not prevent it becomming law.

> Cheers,
> Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR