[mythtvnz] Re: Best type of splitter for Sky + MythTV DVB-S

Daniel Williams mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:11:44 +1300

 >Anyone know what "dual pol capable" means in practice? Does this mean the
 >one LNB is capable of passing both H and V pol signals simultaneously?
 > Anyone know what's required for "dual pol switching"?

This is purely based on my experience from getting things working for me
with the switch to D1, but its capable of tuning both H+V at the same time.

I have both SKY + Myth working at the same time on the one LNB / Dish.

My setup:
Sky Dish + Dual Head LNB
There is a splitter in the ceiling, which passes power on both ports.
This was installed by sky.
The mythbox wall outlet also has a splitter (this was a little future
proofing for when I get the next DVB card), one port which is power
pass, the others aren't.
DVB Card : Skystar2
Mythtv doesn't set any Disqec stuff, so it's just using the default 160E
Lnb of the dual head. The other head is set for 156E, and won't pick up
D1 AFAIK - it's there as a backup incase the sat that Sky uses dies like
B1 did last year.

When TVNZ was on B1:

Mythtv was not plugged into the power passing port, worked fine, Sky +
Myth co-existed nicely.

When TVNZ moved to D1:

Changed the polarity in Myth, mythtv still broken.
Unplug SKY the sky decoder, mythtv still broken
Changed mythtv to be plugged into the power pass port, Mythtv working
(stupid me LNB needs some power).

Now, I was intrigued what would happen if I plugged the Sky decoder back
in, so I just did it (mentally thinking of the 'I have no idea how the
decoder broke' line to use to Sky if the decoder died).

To my surprise everything works. I did a little tinkering to find what
combination worked for me, and only came up with one.

In short -
If both Mythtv + Sky are sending power to the LNB, then everything works
fine.  There is a little flicker (<1sec) on sky reception when mythtv
tunes the DVB card, but it is perfectly watchable on Sky + Mythtv AT THE
SAME TIME.

YMMV.

Regards
Daniel